What is VMF’s Application and Screening Process?
VMF’s Service Dog Application, Screening and Placement Process consists of several steps and is initiated with the submission of a complete Service Dog Application through our website. During the process, VMF’s Veteran Team will maintain contact with the applicants to facilitate exchange of information and answer any questions. An overview of the process is as follows:
1. Application is submitted and reviewed
2. Supplemental paperwork is emailed to the veteran by the veteran coordinator
3. Once completed Supplemental paperwork is received, VMF’s coordinator will submit paperwork to the applicant’s medical professionals
4. Home Visit is scheduled to determine a safe environment for the dog
5. Medical Board Review is completed by VMF’s Medical Board
6. Veteran is brought in to meet the potential service dog
7. Once the dog is ready for placement, the veteran completes a 2-3-week transition training
How Long Does the VMF Service Dog Placement Process Take?
The process of reviewing and screening applicants can take up to 6 months.
The placement of the dog is dependent on the availability of the service dogs in training, the age of the dogs and if the dogs in training meet the needs of the applicant. Dogs are placed into service at 18 month - 2 years of age.
How much does it cost to obtain a VMF Service Dog?
VMF provides trained service dogs at no cost to eligible veterans. After placement; the veteran must be able to financially afford the cost associated with caring for and maintaining the Service Dog.
Am I eligible for a VMF Service Dog if I am not a recent combat veteran or did not receive a Purple Heart?
VMF’S Service Dogs are available to Veterans of any generation that served honorably, has physical and/or mental challenges and can benefit from a service dog. Eligible veterans are those who served honorably and whose disability is a result of either military operation and/or accident or disease experienced during or after military service.
Please feel free to call: 703-665-2129
Or emai1: email@example.com