Veterans Moving Forward, Inc. (VMF), a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Dulles, Virginia, provides service dogs and canine therapy services to veterans with physical and/or mental health challenges, no cost to the veterans.
VMF’s services are available to any veteran of any generation, who served honorably, has physical and/or mental challenges resulting from military operations and/or accident or disease experienced during or subsequent to military service, lives in the continental United States, and can benefit from a service dog.
VMF’s service dog training protocol includes:
- Socialization and obedience skills training
- Basic service skills including water bottle retrieval, laundry assistance, medicine bag retrieval, exit door recognition, shopping assistance, etc.
- Regular evaluation and assessment by third party, professional dog-training organizations
- Therapy dog certification by nationally recognized, professional, animal-assisted therapy organizations at 12-15 months of age
- Advanced training tailored to meet matched veterans specific needs and home/work environment
- Veteran & Service Dog matching based on 1) personality & temperament, 2) veteran’s specific needs and 3) the dog’s skills
- Linking veteran with a vetted veterinarian near the veteran’s home for post-placement veterinarian support
- Linking veteran with a vetted dog trainer near the veteran’s home to provide follow on, post-placement sustainment training for the veteran and service dog
- VMF follow up support including regular communications with the veteran(s), receipt of monthly reports covering health & welfare, medical/veterinarian treatment, behavior & socialization, and issues/concerns – with VMF follow up support and actions, as appropriate
VMF Volunteer Team includes:
- Dedicated professionals in the fields of accounting, animal behaviorists, behavioral health, business, law, nursing, marketing, occupational health, photojournalism, dog breeding and training, psychiatry, psychology, and veterinary medicine
- Veterans and veteran family members